Date posted: July 15, 2020
The Denton Record-Chronicle is seeking an aggressive, entrepreneurial, digitally savvy journalist to cover city government and community life in Denton, Texas, and the cities and towns of Denton County. The ideal candidate:
- Has an appetite for — and the ability to create — quick-turn daily stories that engage local readers as well as investigative pieces that hold officials accountable to the public.
- Knows how to read public records, including meeting agendas and minutes, to develop story ideas, both for daily coverage and broader trend pieces.
- Writes with authority and with a distinct voice, appropriately matching the tone of each piece to the content and audience desired, and creates well-crafted headlines designed to reach the broadest audience possible through digital channels.
- Is resourceful in the reporting process, recognizing the need to shoot photos or videos, record audio or collect other forms of multimedia as needed to improve the way stories are told in the digital space.
- Is adept at building sources and maintains relationships within local governments and civic groups so that the DRC remains top of mind when potential stories or new areas of coverage arise.
- Approaches stories from the perspective of people who live and work in Denton County, reporting on the impact of policy decisions and civic initiatives on residents’ everyday lives.
- Translates “government speak” into relatable language and turns stories that shine a light on life for people who live in local communities.
- Is organized and intentional about cultivating sources in communities where the DRC does not traditionally maintain a daily presence.
- Maintains a strong presence in social media channels, using them both as a content distribution tool and as an avenue for generating story leads and cultivating sources.
- Has a willingness to look for ways to reach new audiences, such as creating and curating newsletters, taking part in reader forums and livestreams and hosting Reddit AMAs.
- Understands how to use metrics to analyze story selection and performance as well as to benefit the overall evolution of the beat.
- Seeks to build a skill set that helps the company build a business based on digital subscribers while upholding the quality of its legacy printed product.
The Denton Record-Chronicle is locally owned and is committed to providing the highest quality of community journalism while being an innovator in how news is delivered, through both print and digital channels. The company publishes daily news in print and online at dentonrc.com, as well as the monthly Denton Business Chronicle and the bimonthly Denton County magazine.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, resume and published clips to Executive Editor Sean McCrory at firstname.lastname@example.org.